Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How to train your ears

4 posters

Go down

How to train your ears Empty How to train your ears

Post by DrWho Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 am

How to train your ears
Paul McGowan posted this interesting article which is worth reading. Enjoy..

"We learn how to hear from an early age. At first, sounds don’t make sense because we have yet to form pathways and relationships. Over time, we figure out that cooing sound is mom, and that clucking sound is dad.
It’s not a whole lot different when we apply learned hearing to our Hi-Fi systems. The best listeners I know don’t have the best hearing, they just have a lot of training.
When I first met Stan Warren I couldn’t tell a good Hi-Fi system from a bad one. Over time, Stan helped me develop “an ear” for what works and what doesn’t. I am forever grateful.
If you’re interested in developing your hearing here’s a few tips to start with.
Breaking down a sonic presentation into its component pieces helps us sort out what’s working and what isn’t. If a singer’s voice is the size of a refrigerator we don’t need a lot of training to understand that’s not normal. But, what else is wrong? What are the common traits we hear whenever voices and instruments are too big? What do we know when every instrument sounds tubby, or strained, or thin?
These are some of the common clues we need to start building our mental library. The bigger the library, the better its indexing, the better listener we become.
We’re looking for patterns.
The easiest way to start the journey is to arm yourself with a reference library (in the same way you read the accepted classics if you want to better grasp literature). I recommend the list I publish for starters. Once so armed, focus your attention on what’s easiest for you to identify as authentic: the human voice, a piano, horn, or stringed instrument. Learn all there is to know within these samples of the voice or instrument you chose.
Repetition breeds mastery. The more you listen and find common patterns the better the listener you become. You’ll know that whenever an instrument or voice is too big it’s because the system is too loud.
Eventually, you’ll master the art of listening.
All you need to do is pay attention."
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

How to train your ears Empty Re: How to train your ears

Post by WillT Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:54 am

How often should we undergo practice? How many times a week and how long per session? 😬
WillT
WillT
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2018-11-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Lumin U1 Mini & Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro
Amplification: Silbatone JI-107
Speakers: Graham Audio LS 8/1 and Rogers LS 3/5a Classic ... REL T7x

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:49 am

"Repetition breeds mastery. The more you listen and find common patterns the better the listener you become."

I go through my several reference tracks each time I tweak my system. 
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by advTech Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 am

Thanks. This is interesting.

advTech

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangamewco Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:58 pm

Know the theory behind the sound. Western music is represented by a set of rules, referred to as music theory, and by knowing these rules you can help your mind interpret the sounds you hear. Understanding that a basic chord has at least 3 notes in it, for example, will help your ear pick out the 3 different tones. You'll want to have a functional understanding of:

Mangamewco

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down